vespamore photography (pronounced "vespa-mor-ay" combining the words vespa and amore, the Italian word for love, "vespalove" by definition)
- 35mm film photography by Paul Hart, gallery - here As well as featuring my own work, this blog also features work by other photographers and anything else creative that has caught my attention or inspired me.

RETROSPECTIVE SCOOTERS
book, photography by Paul Hart, available to order via link -
here

RETROSPECTIVE CYCLES book, photography by Paul Hart, available to order via link - here

Disclaimer: any images or content not owned or produced by me remain the copyright of their original owner. The material and content contained within or provided are not to be used for commercial purposes, or distributed commercially without permission from the owner.

Please notify me by email of any errors or omissions, they will be immediately updated, corrected or removed.

5.1.12

Italiana in Vietnam











Đá Nguyễn, a blogger friend from The Scooterist blog emailed me about this very nice original Italian VBB150 Vespa now residing in Vietnam with it's current owner & Đá Nguyễn's friend Manh from Vnscooter Some nice detail shots taken by Manh of his VBB still in it's original blue factory paint from Pontedera.

These images are re-blogged from this thread on the Modern Vespa scooter forum. Manh has also  added some pics of scooters Vnscooter have restored on the same thread. If you're considering buying a scooter from overseas without seeing it first; this thread makes interesting viewing/reading. It includes a warning note about another Vietnamese dealer Avalon Scooters who 'allegedly' mis-appropriated Vnscooter's images as their own & displayed them on their website as their own 'restored scoots'.

Vietnamese scooter traders' wares seem to be universally tagged with the 'Vietbodge' moniker. Personally I've never bought a part or scooter from Vietnam so can't really judge. I do know of an English friend who bought a supposedly 'restored' Vespa VBB from a Vietnamese dealer. Under the shiny paintjob was a catalogue of bodges & a complete overhaul was required including the replacement of many parts. Many Indian scooter dealers also seem to suffer from a similarly bad reputation. I would be nervous buying a scooter (or anything else) that I hadn't seen first & inspected. That goes for wherever it may be from; UK, Italy, Spain, Vietnam, India & online sites like Ebay etc. I've bought nearly all the scooters I've owned from Retrospective Scooters in North London. Having established a relationship with owner Niall over the last 10 years has been useful when choosing & buying my scoots. My current 1969 Sprint Veloce was brought over from Italy by Niall; he was able to email me pictures of a few vespas to choose from which were being sold by his Italian contact. In this case I didn't mind agreeing to buy 'unseen' as I trust Niall knows what kind of scoots I like & would want.

I'm sure there are many honest Vietnamese & Indian scooter dealers out there who despair at their unwanted reputation. As for the UK; as well as good dealers, I've come across a few unscrupulous scooter dealers here who seem to want nothing more than your cash & don't seem to know of the term 'aftersales'. I guess buying is all about trust; either try & check out what you're buying in the flesh first or use a trusted contact  who can do this on your behalf; particularly if the scooter in question is halfway around the globe....

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...